Electricity info for expats in Brussels

suppliers in Brussels area

Sibelga is the company, who is in charge of the management of the total distribution network for electricity in Brussels area ( i.e. construction, maintenance & meter reading ). Other suppliers all use Sibelga’s network, and their customers are all connected to it.
Suppliers bill you for the energy you use. The suppliers draw up their energy prices on the basis of different elements: energy cost, rate for use of the networks, taxes and public surcharges. The default electricity supplier in Brussels is Electrabel. Customers who did not decide to change supplier since the liberalisation of the market are still supplied by Electrabel. Only work on your connections and meters will be invoiced directly by Sibelga.
Sibelga has an English version of its website so as to provide tips and advice for the capital’s large expats community.
A very good trilingual site which will give you the answers to all your questions of energy in Brussels.

You can also compare the energy suppliers via this

Are you moving in?
A transfer document should be filled in by both the owner or outgoing occupant and the new occupant, even if a new supplier has been chosen. These documents ( the IN form and the OUT form ) can be downloaded from Sibelga’s website. ( link ). In many cases, they may also be filled in online on the suppliers’ websites.
The supplier should be contacted for details on the procedure. If the meters are closed, the new occupant should obtain the EAN code of each gas and electricity supply point and pass them on to the supplier of his choice, and wait to receive the go-ahead or « green light » from the supplier to contact Sibelga.
Once the green light has been given, the new occupant should contact Sibelga Customer reception on 02/549.41.00 to arrange a date when a technician can come and open the meters.
An adult must be present to give the technician access to the meters and the housing unit.

Are you moving out?
To have meters closed, contact Sibelga on 02 549 41 00. You can also opt to hand over directly to the owner or tenant moving into the building. The changeover form will be provided and processed by the new customer’s supplier. We would advise you to keep a copy of the form. You can also download the forms from this

electricity consumption
An application, available on
this website,
helps people to understand better and control their consumption of gas, electricity, water, heating, etc.

In practical terms, you simply encode your meter reading and certain parameters, totally anonymously.
So you can measure your energy consumption, from your computer, your smartphone or your tablet.

EAN code Electricity

Your EAN code is given on your energy bill.
    Moving house? If so, you can ask the previous occupants or the managing agent ( syndique ) of the building for the EAN code of your new home. It should be on their old energy bills.
The EAN code is not the same as the meter number: the EAN code identifies a supply point, whereas the meter number identifies an appliance, i.e. the meter.

If your meter is, or will be replaced, there will be a new meter number on your appliance, but your EAN code remains unchanged.

Nor is it a customer number. You receive a customer number from your energy supplier. If you change supplier, you will receive a new customer number. The EAN code stays the same.
If you can't find the EAN code, you can call the customer services on
02 549 41 00
Or fill in this online
contact form

bill in Brussels

Estimated electricity bills are sent out monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly depending on the chosen supplier.
Annual metre readings are carried out automatically by Sibelga and the bill is then readjusted in line with the consumption.
A metre-reading calendar is available on Sibelga’s website.
If you are out when the metre reader calls, you will receive a letter from Sibelga asking you to report your metre readings by telephone or online.
If you do not provide the metre readings before the 20th of the month following the reception of the letter, the metre readings will be estimated.
This estimate is made on the basis of the consumption data recorded over the previous years.
The metre readings obtained or estimated are sent to your energy supplier so that your energy bill can be readjusted.